Monday, July 25, 2005

《倾城之恋》 by 张爱玲:

A male (范柳原) and female (白流苏) were taking a stroll. They came to this place where there was a wall. Yes, just a wall. In the middle of nowhere. Just a wall there. A cold and hard and heartless and expressionless wall. They leaned against it and looked up to see that the wall was so tall that they could not figure out its height.

范柳原: “这道墙,不知道为什么让我想起了地老天荒之类的话。。。如果有一天,当我们的文明社会就这样垮了、塔勒、坍了。。。也许还剩下这道墙。流苏,如果那一天,我们在这道墙底下相遇了,也许我会对你有一点真心,也许你会对我有一点真心。”

Translation: "This wall epitomises eternity.. It reminds me of forever. If one day our civilisation were to be destroyed... perhaps this piece of wall would still remain erect and unaffected. Liu Su, if we were to meet here again on that day, perhaps then I'd realize I could love you a little, and you'd realize you could love me a little."

Okay, the english translation sounds a little-- no very very-- weird. I also get the feeling that the original sentiment of romance has been lost in translation. Especially the name "Liu Su". Makes one feel like laughing huh.

Courtesy of my 'friend'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a wrong word. I typed it wrongly on MSN. Anyway that isn't the entire original text, I was only typing what I remember. And the translation is not totally accurate too. Was too lazy to be bothered about accuracy. Shall lend you the book when the chance arrives :)

Anyway one reason I hate translated books is because all the beauty has been lost in translation. But sometimes I have no choice.

- The friend who told you about the story.

양사민 estelwen said...

hah! i noe i noe who is the friend who told u abt the story! hehehehe... cus i rmb the person saying this before

quote:"Anyway one reason I hate translated books is because all the beauty has been lost in translation. But sometimes I have no choice."

haha! i love my memory :P

Anonymous said...

Um. In fact there are two wrong words :x I'm always typing things wrongly on MSN. Pardon me.

To Si Min: Haha, yeah, I told you that before :p Didn't want Faith to reveal my name because I want to keep a low profile. I'm a very humble person, yes? -wink-

양사민 estelwen said...

hahaha! :P yes yes u are... ur chinese very good dun need humble..haha... flaunt it once in a while :P