Tuesday, January 06, 2009

While in the shower, my dad called out my name, "Faith arh, FAVVEEE!"

"Yah??!!"

"Where are you? What you doing?" he asked.

"BATHING!"

"Oh... Ey, ey, my work friend sent me an sms!" he said enthusiastically.

"Wah!" I replied, feigning excitement, "So cool!"

"Yah! I read out to you!"

"Orh, okay!"

"Listen arhhh... 'Yesterday, is HISTORY, tomorrow is MYSTERY, and today is a GIFT. That is why, it is called, THE PRESENT!'"

"Wow," I said.

He erupted into laughter, "So funny!!! Nice right?"

Frankly? No. Not nice. In fact, bordering on being extremely hackneyed. Just ridiculous motivational hogwash trying too hard to be clever with words.

"That is so..." I fished for the right word to say, "Meaningful."

"Yah," he agreed, "That is why arh, you must treasure each day, every moment... Understand?"

I don't know why, but it all seemed like such a wonderfully sweet and yet silly scene- my dad standing outside the pink plastic sliding door of the bathroom, half-yelling words of wisdom to me while I stood under the shower with shampoo all over my hair and down my forehead.

I just had to smile.

"Treasure each day, every moment"?

"Yah," I said, "Yah. You're absolutely right."

2 comments:

siti* said...

your dad does the most adorable things. and the most endearing thing abt it is that he doesn't do them intentionally.

you're lucky. :D

양사민 estelwen said...

lol