Thursday, September 09, 2010

These days I find myself secretly casting glances at myself in the mirror just to make sure I still exist. When I get out of the shower, emerging from the cloud of steam, I check. After I dress up, I check. Before I leave the house, I check. In the lift on the way down to the ground floor, I check. Each time I go to the washroom, I check. Hello, are you still there? Yes, yes you are.

It is strange- I think I look a certain way, I definitely feel a certain way. But when I look at myself in the mirror, all I see is a wide-eyed, young, skinny, very typical-looking girl (eyes there, nose there, mouth there) with typical-looking dyed brown hair staring back at me asking, "What? What were you expecting? What do you want?" And I tell her I don't know; she took me by surprise.

No comments: